Welcome to the AA Chat Room!
AA Chat Room Rules & Guidelines
This AA Chat Room exists to carry the message of Alcoholics Anonymous to the alcoholic who still suffers. We are NOT affiliated with Alcoholics Anonymous in any official way, but we are here to create a safe, encouraging online environment for the fellowship of AA. We ask that all who join have a desire to stop drinking.
AA Chat Room Rules
- No chatting while drunk or actively consuming alcohol – you can read the chat and listen to speakers online with us, just please don’t type until you’ve sobered up to avoid disrupting the room.
- This is a CLOSED group for those who have a problem with alcohol, NOT for the family members and friends of alcoholics. Family members and friends should seek help with Al-Anon.org.
- No advertising or promotion of any kind.
- No research, surveys, interviews, or observation for nursing/medical programs.
- No identifying photos, screenshots, or videos (or links to them)
- No personal information (yours or someone else’s), including: Full name, email address, phone, Workplace name, workplace address, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, or other social media account names or links
- Do not solicit, offer, or accept financial or material support
- No online harassment of any kind, including repeated unwanted messaging, verbal attacks, threatening messages, or public embarrassment, etc.
- No lewd, crude, sexual, NSFW, political, or inappropriate names, comments, jokes, etc
- No engaging in illegal activity
- No reposting content that was deleted/removed by a moderator or admin
- No trolling (defined as posting inflammatory, extraneous, shocking, awkward, or off-topic messages with the intent of provoking readers into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal, on-topic discussion)
AA Chat Room Guidelines
- Singleness of Purpose While other addictions may be a part of your story, please keep the focus on alcohol-related topics. Friends and family members of alcoholics will be directed to Al-anon resources.
- Requirement to Participate If you’ve been drinking/using, feel free to read, but please don’t type until you’re sober. We don’t expect everyone to be perfect, but we DO expect you to refrain from typing while drunk (we do set drunk chatters to read-only until you sober up).
- Live and Let Live Love and tolerance is our code, so be tolerant of different stages and paths to recovery.
- Stay in the Solution After a bad day, this is a great place to come for support – but excessive drunk-a-logging, long war stories, or constant reminiscing about the drinking days will be shut down. So will gossip and taking other people’s inventories.
- Experience, Strength, and Hope Tell them what worked for you based on what you actually DID (using “I” statements), rather than what you THINK they should do…even if they ask for advice.
- Anonymity Protect the Anonymity of the A.A. Program by NOT talking about who you saw at various meetings and functions around town, not using people’s last names or other personal information, and all the other guidelines for respecting an A.A. member’s anonymity.
- Avoid Excessive Profanity A few curse words are OK, but don’t be excessive about it.
- Medical Advice Avoid giving medical advice here, even if you work in the medical field.
- Do your best to abide by the 12 Traditions of Alcoholics Anonymous.
From time to time a Concierge (with the star after their name) may ask you to take conversations to the #off-topic channel. The Concierge may also ask you to move certain one-on-one or intense conversations out of the public channel and into private messaging. Please do not take this personally.
Concierges will send you a private message to bring violations to your attention. Please don’t take it personally. We are all just doing our best to watch out for the community as a whole. With that in mind, please know that if a Concierge does bring anything to your attention, it is NOT an invitation to debate 🙂
You may be temporarily muted or removed from public channels in any instances where it seems like the community may be at risk from your messages until we have had a chance to discuss the violation(s) with you via PM.
Repeated violations may result in a ban from this community for good. If you have questions about these rules, or would like to appeal PM one of the Trusted Servants.